Acratech have gained a reputation for producing light weight, robust, high quality yet extremely strong ballheads. They are a novel design too, doing away with the classic enclosed ball casing, and opting for a minimalist skeletal framework constructed of high grade aircraft aluminium. The Acratech GV2 provides great freedom of movement for the ball and utilises at drop-notch (slot) that allows the head to be used gimbal style. I owned two Acratech ballheads, the GV2 was my second purchase and is still my ballhead of choice. manufacturers details are listed below, but if you want to read a detailed review of the GV2, following the link below:
John R. Birch (03.07.2013)
The Acratech GV2 Ballhead is uniquely designed to function both as a ballhead and as a Gimbal head.
Traditional ballhead designs work well for most photography but when longer lenses with tripod collars are used; it can be difficult to control them. In the past it was necessary to carry a separate Gimbal head or Gimbal attachment for your ballhead. Our Acratech GV2 Ballhead solves this problem by functioning as a Gimbal head simply by rotating the ball into the Gimbal slot on the side of the ballhead. We put a bushing on the stem of the ball and a pin on the bottom of the ball to provide smooth rotation. It provides total ease of use and freedom of movement. Our Ultimate GV2 Ballhead works well with lenses up to a 400mm f/4.0.
Acratech GV2 Ballhead Specifications
- Weighs less than 1 lb (.45kg) with quick release clamp.
- Easily holds over 25 lbs (11.4kg) at any angle.
- Full movements allow any camera position.
- Precision C.N.C. machined.
- Compatible with Kirk, Arca, Really Right Stuff and many other QR plates.
- Beautiful satin black anodized finish.
- Fits all standard tripods (1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threads).
- Engraved degree markings.
- Solid precision feel.
- Made in the USA.
- Ball will not shift when tightened.
- Oil-less and greaseless ball will not attract or hold dirt and debris.
- All knobs are secured so they cannot vibrate loose and fall off.
- Patent: D467605, D484168, D483788, D483789