The Powerful Nik Efex Suite is now free
As from March 24th 2016 Google has made the latest version of Nik efex plug-ins for free to download for all users. The Nik Collection is comprises seven desktop plug-ins set of image enhancement tools and photographic filter plug-ins for Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom , Elements and Aperture and other photo-manipulation and RAW conversion software. The collection includes:
- Analog Efex Pro: which allows you create the look and feel of classic cameras, films, and lenses.
- Color Efex Pro: A powerful set of filters for color correction, retouching, and creative effects.
- Silver Efex Pro: to create the best black-and-white photography with darkroom-inspired controls.
- Viveza: to selectively adjust the color and tonality of your images without complicated masks or selections.
- HDR Efex Pro: “From natural to artistic, explore the full potential of HDR photography.
- Sharpener Pro: to bring out hidden details consistently with the professional’s choice for image sharpening.
- Dfine: a powerful sharpening and noise reduction tool to improve your images.
For a while Google offered version 1.007 of the Nik Collection for free back in 2013 after it had acquired Nik Software, but not long after the plug-in collection was selling for $149. Google say users who have purchased the Nik Collection in 2016 will be offered a full refund. Too bad for those who got it for Christmas. Worse for me as I paid £199 for the Nik Collectin back in 2012.
Nobody seems to know why Google are doing this and they say on the website:
Google: We’re excited to bring the powerful photo editing tools once only used by professionals to even more people now.
The general consensus on the web seems to be that they are no longer willing to continue development of the plug-ins in their current form, which would be a real shame. Only time will tell.
In the meantime, grab a bargain from here.
Pictures published in DSLR Photography Magazine
It’s good to see some of your own pictures in print. If you’ve bought a copy of the July 2014 issue of Digital DSLR photography magazine here in the UK, you’ll see some of mine. There’s a special travel supplement included with this issue and a few of my pictures were chosen to accompany the articles inside. You’ll even find a few words from yours truly, abeit a tad brief. It’s a great supplement with some great advice if travel photography is your bag. The cover has a simply stunning portait of a youg girl by Brett Harkness.
The pictures published are show below.
Courtesy of Chris Sanderson, there is now an 18 minute video of my trip with Luminous Landscape to Antarctica earlier this year. It is really a taster (advertisement) for future LuLa trips there, but contains some stunning Antarctic scenery and wildlife, and for me a great reminder of such good times. I had hoped to embed the video below but unfortunately their privacy setting’s won’t allow that, so you just have to click on the screen grab below linked to the video. It’s well worth a watch. and there’s even the odd glimpse of yours truly.Read More»
OK, I know the 5D mark-III is a dam fine camera, and for many it may be approaching perfection, but while I love my 5D-III there are still many aspects of the current Canon DSLR design that really infuriate me.Read More»